Considering the Secma F16 for trackday car

Considering the Secma F16 for trackday car

Message par sikrip le 2/1/2018, 15:55

Hello everyone any many wishes for a healthy new year.

I hope I can write in English in this forum. If not please let me know.

I am from Greece and I am using a Toyota MR2 as trackday car. For many reasons I consider moving to something new and in my list of options is the Secma F16 among others.

So given the fact that I will mainly use this car for trackdays, I would like your input for the Secma F16.

Is this car fun to drive in the track?
Is it difficult/dangerous at the limit?
Can I change the alignment with the stock suspension (camber etc)?
My current car is a Toyota MR2 with ~180horses and 900kilos, how would the f16 compare in terms of laptime with this car?
I will post a video with telemetry data where I drive the MR2 on the track if it helps (cannot do it now because I am a new user).

Thanks in advance,
George
sikrip

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Considering the Secma F16 for trackday car

Message par Pascal Richard le 2/1/2018, 17:45

Dear George,
Welcome to this forum... where you sure can write in English! Welcome from Greece, and happy new year to you! I was the happy owner of an F16 for 2 years, and I drove 20.000 kms with it... before buying a Turbo. And I can assure you I don't regret it! Food for thoughts: F.16, 600 kgs, 105 hp - F.16 Turbo, 700 kgs with all the liquids, 208 hp... If you want to drive something really faster than what you have... I mean, 997 GT3 fast till 200 kms/h plus... The atmo is very short wheel-based, ie not easy to handle when it oversteers. The Turbo is 32 cms longer, which makes a big difference... not to mention the acceleration! Many guys on this forum will tell you more about the atmo, I'm sure, but for me, you should seriously think about a Turbo... Those who come from the Lotus or even Catheram planet can't believe their hips!
Pascal Richard

Message par mxboy le 2/1/2018, 21:33

Welcome George !
M
mxboy

Message par PéA le 3/1/2018, 14:43

Hi George !

Don't worry, nobody's gonna blame you for writing in english.
A few answers below :

Is this car fun to drive in the track?
A Secma F16 is a very funny car to handle on track, at an extremely low cost (by faaaaar the cheapest one of any car I owned). Definitely cheaper to drive on track than your MR2. A F16 Turbo will be more efficient but less funny (can't answer about the cost).

Is it difficult/dangerous at the limit?
This car is difficult to handle at the limit but I wouldn't say dangerous, as the car is very light (<600kgs) and stops right away when oversteering. The difficulties come from the engine position (but you're definitely used to this coming from a MR2), the short wheelbase, the lack of power and the absence of slip-limited differential, for instance. I can't give you any further information about the Turbo version as I never drove it, but the wheelbase is longer and there's an optional slip-limited differential, so I guess it's gonna be easier to handle if you put the extra power aside.

Can I change the alignment with the stock suspension (camber etc)?
Yes for the front on every version.
For the back, you need the EVO version.
For the Turbo, yes in any case.

My current car is a Toyota MR2 with ~180horses and 900kilos, how would the f16 compare in terms of laptime with this car?
It will depend on the track.
Slow and technical : a F16 will be faster.
Medium : I guess it's gonna be more or less even.
Fast : Your Toyota will be faster (F16 Top speed : around 180-190km/h).
A turbo will be faster in any case.

FIY, I owned a F16, then a (little bit) modified Westfield FW300 and now I'm driving a Caterham R300 (I'm not that much into turbos What a Face ).

If you need any further information, just ask, we'll be more than happy to answer !
Have a nice day.
PéA
PéA

Message par sikrip le 3/1/2018, 22:54

Hello, thanks for all the replies!

I am only considering the F16 atmo because the turbo is out of my budget.

So the only aspect that keeps the F16 atmo back is it's top speed?
I mean how does it compare in terms of cornering and stopping capabilities with other cars that you have driven?

I am a bit confused about how fast the F16 is. I read (zeperfs.com) for example that in the Magny Cours Club circuit the F16 does 1'32'' whereas a S2000 does 1'29'' (both in stock trim). Although I have not driven in this circuit it does not seem to be fast enough so that the low top speed of the F16 to be a problem and hold it back. I would have expected that the F16 would be at least as fast if not faster in that circuit than the S2000.

Also, for the standard version of the F16, the rear suspension is non-adjustable at all?

Thanks,
George
sikrip

Message par junior le 16/1/2018, 11:01

Hy Georges

I don't see that you write here!

For Magny cours club track it's possible to do better than 1'32.
In my first time on that track i do 1'28"77. Sure it's possible To do a better lap time! Tyres i dont remember me but i meen old rally tyres, standard suspension and camber is not Perfect this day.
And the temperature is less than 10 degrees. It's the 01.03.2014.

In video.

junior

Message par sikrip le 16/1/2018, 11:40

Hello!

Thanks for all the info. The Secma F16 evo looks an interesting option.

I hope I will test drive one soon!
sikrip

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé